Saturday 11 October 2014

A girl's gotta tri

Earlier this year, I was looking for a goal as part of my recovery from knee surgery when I joked about doing a triathlon. Well, you'll never guess what. I have decided that next year I will actually attempt my first triathlon!

There. I've said it. It's in writing. So I can't chicken out now, can I?

Have no illusions though, I am no health-conscious fitness fanatic. Far from it. I have to force myself to go to the gym and I am just a little too fond of cakes and chocolate.

So, this is a pretty big deal for me and I will not find it easy. You see, it's not just a run, but a run straight after a gruelling swim and an energy-sapping cycle! I am out of breath just typing it!

This is not me!!

To show I mean business, I have decided to throw myself in at the deep end and have just signed myself up to do an "aquathlon" next week! An aquathlon is a swim followed immediately by a run. So it's two out of the three triathlon disciplines. And yes, you did read that correctly, it's next week!

You would be forgiven for wondering why I have chosen to put myself through this. Well, there are a few reasons.

Firstly, because I can.  It's over 25 years since I tore my anterior cruciate ligament and it has stopped me doing so much over the years. I feel as though I have been given a second chance and I have a lot of catching up to do. OK, I have to admit I was a little disgruntled to discover that I now fall into the veterans' category, but, hey, who cares?

Secondly, I am a firm believer in setting goals. When I was training for the Race for Life (my first 5k run) in June, I was so much more motivated at going to the gym and for a run. I need a goal or else there is a real risk that my new-found fitness regime will lapse and all the hours of physio over the last year will have been wasted.

Finally, and most importantly, I want to show my children that you don't have to be the best at everything, but you can achieve anything if you set your mind to it and work hard.

It's 12 months to the day since I was sitting in a hospital bed having just had my knee fixed and with a long road of physio ahead of me. Today, I start a journey of a different kind.

Let the training commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment